Sunday 18 May 2014

Guest Post // To Find Out Baby Sex Or Not?!

Welcome,

To find out, or not to find out? That is the question.

Here at Lamb & Bear, we have two different stories to tell, both exciting and both equally as special. Enjoy.

Vicky's story


We were very much ‘on the fence’ with finding out.
I remember walking around Next at 18 weeks pregnant, thinking how much easier it would be to find out the sex of the baby. I’m a natural organiser, so it would have made perfect sense to find out.
Even on the drive to our 20 week scan, we were still unsure. So we came up with a little plan...
Armed with a piece of plain paper and an envelope, we asked the ultrasound technician to write down the sex of the baby and seal it away.
We left our 20 week scan with our fuzzy ultrasound photo, and our white envelope. I was absolutely buzzing.
My theory was, if we really wanted to find out, then we would look. The 20 week scan is only half way, so if we decided further down the line to find out then we could.
But, you know what? We never got the urge to look, not one bit. I loved not knowing. As my bump grew, all I cared about was my little baby growing inside me. I didn’t need to know whether they were a boy or a girl. That would be my surprise at the end.
I had a 3 day labour. It was pretty tiring, but that unknown made me work that little bit harder.
There aren’t many happy surprises left in life, but this was one. That moment when Matt told me through teary eyes that we had a little girl, will be the best moment of my life. It still brings a lump to my throat.
Then you have the magical moments of telling all your family and friends. Yep, bring on more lumpy throats.
I wouldn’t swap any of these moments for the world.

Alex's story


Anyone who knows me, knows I'm pretty impatient. In fact very impatient. So no surprise when I found out the sex of our baby at the 20 week scan. Deep down, I knew I was having a boy, call it mother's intuition, but I was so sure.
As much as I wanted to know, I would only find out if Joe was sure too. I strongly believe it should be the decision of both parents. As much as one wants to know, if the other doesn't they should respect that. Luckily for me Joe couldn't wait to find out!
Holding hands and walking in silence, we were both as nervous as each other. This was it. The moment had finally arrived, was beansprout pink or blue? Days had been spent disagreeing over names, struggling to find ones we liked, at least now we could eliminate 50% of them!
While we were waiting for the scan, Joe turned to me asked what I thought we were having. After a minute of mumbling 'I want a boy, but it could be a girl, blah, blah', I plucked up the courage to say 'boy'. (I hate being wrong, so really didn't make a final decision). He turned to me and said 'so do I'. We smiled at each other. I don't know why, but it's like we already knew.
Well, we were right! On that tiny screen was our beautiful baby boy. Our little blue beansprout.
A lot of people said to me 'don't you want a surprise?' I always replied with 'it's a surprise either way'. Whether you find out at the scan or wait until the baby is born, it's a surprise, just as special, and just as emotional.
So if you are undecided about finding out the sex, why not try Vicky's idea and seal it in an envelope? Or if, you really want to know then go for it! Knowing the sex of my baby allowed me to bond with the little boy growing in my belly. (And also meant daddy had to redecorate the spare room to be more suited for a boy! Pale pink just wasn't acceptable for my little blue beansprout). But not finding out, meant Vicky and Matt had an amazing surprise at the end, making those 9 months worth the wait.
Oh, and did I mention, I told Vicky she was having a girl all along?! I love being right ;)

Today's Guest Post was written by Vicky & Alex from Lamb & Bear, what a great post to see the difference - visit their blog here, Twitter here and BlogLovin here. If you would like to write a post for us, please contact via twitter or email thank you :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

please no spamming these will be deleted, only leave relevant comments, you are welcome to leave your blog link at the end of a comment - thank you :)